Welcome, Springtime! After this long winter, I am so ready for sunshine, warmer weather and lots of time outside! To help prepare my body for a more active season, I like to clean up my eating a bit and have found this light and delicious soup to be just what my body needs! It’s rich in vitamins A and C and in potassium. Pair it with your favorite greens salad to get in your daily raw!
Carrot Coriander Soup with Toasted Coconut
*this recipe makes about 4-6 servings
1 T coconut oil
½ c coconut milk
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 lb carrots, cut into chunks
1 medium onion, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 small potatoes, peeled, chopped
4 cups vegetable stock
2-3 t ground coriander
Freshly ground peppercorn
¼ c fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ c toasted coconut flakes
• Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Sauté the garlic, coriander and onion until just soft, about 3-4 minutes (do not allow it to brown).
• Add the potatoes and celery to pan, cook for a few minutes, then add the carrots. Continue to cook over gentle heat for about 3-4 minutes, stirring, then cover.
• Reduce heat and let the vegetables cook further, about another 10 minutes, shaking the pan or stirring occasionally.
• Add the stock and bring to boil. Cover and simmer about another 8-10 minutes, until carrots and potatoes are tender.
• While the soup simmers, heat a small pan over medium heat. Add about 1/4 cup raw coconut flakes to the pan and toast until just brown, stirring frequently, about 4-5 minutes. Removed from heat and set aside.
• Stir in coconut milk.
• With immersion blender (or regular blender), blend until desired consistency (I like to keep some veggie chunks in it!). Add freshly ground peppercorn to taste.
• Spoon the soup into bowls and top with the fresh cilantro and toasted coconut flakes.
*Chef’s note: sharing this soup with a friend makes it even tastier!